Newsletter
 


Campiglia Marittima Campiglia Marittima Campiglia Marittima Campiglia Marittima
Campiglia Marittima

The territory in which Campiglia Marittima rises was intensely inhabited by the Etruscans, who set up some of their forges here. In the Thirties, the first kilns were discovered in which the Etruscans worked the metals in which the subsoil of the surrounding mountains abounds: copper, hn, iron and even silver and zinc. The Romans did not know how to exploit these riches as the Etruscans had done, and the zone underwent a strong decline.
The inhabitants abandoned the villages, and the countryside was no longer cultivated. Nevertheless, numerous findings of the Roman epoch, among which a great quantity of coins of the era of Caesar Augustus, lead us to believe that the hills around Campiglia were inhabited by several illustrious families attracted by the beauty of the places and by the favourable climate. The Lombard epoch involved a further depopulation of the territory, which began its rebirth only around the year one thousand. From a document of 1004 we 1;now that Campiglia was a castle belonging to the della Gherardesca family, and the fief must have developed rapidly, if in 1138 it gave hospitality to Pope Innocent II on his return from the Council of Pisa.
However much the counts of the della Gherardesca family exercised a feudal dominion over Campiglia as over other villages in the Maremma, already in the 13th century the castle depended on the Republic of Pisa, which established a magistrate, a judge and a notary there. In 1406 Pisa signed the treaty of its first surrender to Florence, and Campiglia was one of the castles made over to the Florentine Republic.
Despite several attempts at revolt, Campiglia yielded to the new dominion, which at least guaranteed itfrom attempts at assault on the part of foreign troops. In 1447 and 1448, in fact, the king of Naples, Alphonse of Aragon, tried twice to take possession of the castle and the village; but the defence of the inhabitants of Campiglia and of the Florentine army was strenuous, and the castle did notfall into enemy hands.
The subsequent history of Campiglia was no longer studded with wars, but with terrible plagues that decimated the population and transformed what at one time had been a thriving stronghold in the south of the Grand Duchy into a village surrounded with deserted districts in which malaria mowed down its victims. Campiglia's modern history began with the important reclaimings of Maremma lands, which finally made the villages inhabitable once more.