Newsletter
 


San Vincenzo San Vincenzo San Vincenzo San Vincenzo
San Vincenzo

The section of the Leghorn coast where San Vincenzo is found today had been inhabited since the early Palaeolithic era, but it was with the arrival of the Etruscans that the area knew a remarkable civilisation. In fact, San Vincenzo is in the vicinity of the promontory of Populonia, the seat of a powerful Etruscan temtory ruled by a lucomon. The presence of metals within the territory of San Vincenzo' and particularly on the slopes of Mount Calvi, meant that the Etruscans developed here a considerable activity of extraction and fusion, numerous traces of which have been discovered.
Once the Romans conquered the Etruscans, the Aurelian Way passed by San Vincenzo, and although there is no certain information, it seems that a village and a landing stage were founded on the spot. Instead, it is definite that in the 9th century in the locality of San Vincentium there used to exist a small shelter for pilgrims, probably at the origin of the founding of a church, information of which we have starting in the 13th century.
In 1304 the Pisans had a watch tower erected with a fortress which, two centuries later, in 1505, was the scene of the epilogue to Pisa's attempted revolt against Florence. Right under the tower of San Vincenzo, in fact, the battle tool: place between the Florentine army and that of the condottiere Bartolomeo d'Alviano, who was leading his troops to the aid of Pisa that was under siege.
The battle was then immortalised by Giorgio Vasari in one of the frescoes in the "Salone dei Cinquccento" of Palazzo della Signoria in Florence. In successive centuries, San Vincenzo followed the fortunes of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.